Comments

• edited November 2008
    Having worked with both as well, I gotta agree with you
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    So how do you really feel?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I can honestly say that the few times I've ever poked around in vBulletin were painful at best. If it weren't for the fact that reinventing the wheel is stupid, I'd suggest building your own from the ground up, something we've started doing at work.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    @MiracleMan: I've already done my stint maintaining a web application by myself; it isn't fun. ;) I want to spend my time enhancing good baseline products to differentiate our site, not maintaining baseline products (like the custom CMS we used for the last 2 years before WP).
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    @ Keebler: I'm with you on that, trust me. Unfortunately it's not always so easy. Is there any plans by WordPress etc to develop a forum system that is integrated? If not, GET TO IT KEEBS!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Can't argue with your points.

vBulletin's admin panel is terrible. Actually, terrible sounds to good. Words can't describe how bad it is. It's a joke.
  • edited November 2008
    Had any thoughts about trying out Vanilla forums? Some have described it as the WordPress of forums software. http://getvanilla.com/
    edited November 2008
    @lmo: Yeah, I've actually singled that out as the "most likely to replace vB if it comes to that". I haven't dug too deep into it though, because the thought of porting 5 years of forum content to a new platform makes my head hurt. :-/ If I was starting over today (as a developer), I'd probably go with Vanilla.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Brutal. Brilliant. Matt.. finally someone stands up and admits what we have all known for a long time.... VBulletin can be very tough work.
    edited September 2009
    "I don’t have any present intention to dump vBulletin"

This is no longer correct. I'm ditching this thing like a bad habit.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Right on. Can't wait to see the beautiful shiny new Vanilla forums you're working on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Right on! Can't wait to see the beautiful shiny new Vanilla forums you're working on.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Right on. Can't wait to see the beautiful shiny new Vanilla forums you're working on.
    Right on! Can't wait to see the beautiful shiny new Vanilla forums you're working on.
  • edited October 2011
    Their forum is ok, but their cms is crap, i try to figure it how to move my over 2.000 articles from vbulletin cms to a wordpress cms, or to a new script that is in work. Another website on wordpress is doing far better and didn;t had link buidling like the other website ... And their support for features is ZERO. The don't even have a basic option to add a link to navbar you have to hack that to ... amazing
    edited October 2011
    whatafy wrote:
    Their forum is ok, but their cms is crap, i try to figure it how to move my over 2.000 articles from vbulletin cms to a wordpress cms, or to a new script that is in work. Another website on wordpress is doing far better and didn;t had link buidling like the other website ... And their support for features is ZERO. The don't even have a basic option to add a link to navbar you have to hack that to ... amazing
    I seriously can't even follow what you're talking about.
This discussion has been closed.