Back in the big leagues: the NVIDIA Quadro 6000 reviewed

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    That was extremely well written, to the point where it was fun to read even though I am only marginally interested in workstation graphics. Great article!

One rec: alt tag on the last image.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2010
    That was extremely well written, to the point where it was fun to read even though I am only marginally interested in workstation graphics. Great article!

Same for me, great article !
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, dumb dumb. When your video is shorter than the commercial we're required to watch before it, it might be a good idea to use a YouTube embed instead.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Fair point, although "dumb dumb" is not nice.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Besides, the proper phrasing is "dum-dum"
  • edited July 2010
    No 3DS Max bench? Impressive anyway. I just got a v4800 to replace my radeon 4870. Good job on getting one of the first reviews.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how well it folds.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited July 2010
    I think I'll have to start saving, This is the kind of CUDA monster I've been hoping to put in my machine. I'm just sad it'll take me years to save up for a $5000 card.

I wounder how long it will take for adobe to release an update to the mercury playback engine that will support these new fermi Quadro cards???
    edited July 2010
    We've awarded the Quadro 6000 our highest honor: The Golden Fedora
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    It's been a long, long time since Icrontic has handed out one of those.
    edited July 2010
    Yep. I had to dig up the new artwork: Since we redid our award art, we've never given out a Gold :D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    LokloMedia - SPEC removed 3DS Max from their ViewPerf suite with release 11, they replaced it with Lightwave. Not sure why they did this, but Lightwave is a good addition.

Photodude - Adobe reps at SIGGRAPH are already demoing Mercury Playback on Quadro 5000 and 6000 GPUs at NVIDIA's booth. If they haven't implemented a patch that gives support yet, they will very soon.
  • edited July 2010
    So, is the GPU actually more powerful? Or, is it just the 5gig of memory that's powering the results. You make it sound like real time rendering power is a non factor. Is that your actual stance? Also, no factoring in the 4 fold price difference between the V8800 and the 6000. Nor have you mentioned anything about power consumption or how much cooler the V8800 runs. Just some synthetic results. It would be helpful if you fired up some real graphics apps. for a comparison.
  • edited July 2010
    It's the GPU. Fermi introduced a new raster architecture that can handle much more triangles than any other GPU before.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how well it folds.
    Given the GPU on the card has 448 Cuda cores (shaders), I would assume it's Folding production would be similar to a GTX 470, which is the same Fermi architecture and also has 448 shaders. The Quadro 6000 has a different PCB and tons more video memory than either the GTX 470 or 480, but for Folding, at least with Nvidia GPUs/video cards, shader count and shader clocks are the most important performance factors. I did not find a shader clock specification for the Quadro, but I assume (yes, assuming, again) that it's probably about the same as the 470 or 480.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm trying to find anyone who can give an educated guess as to how well the new Quadro 4000 will stack up against a V8800, since those two are the closest in price. Anyone here have an opinion on that?
  • edited August 2010
    Great review!

Quadro 6000 = 4000 EUR +
    Quadro 5000 = 2000 EUR +
    ATi FirePro v8800 = 1000 EUR +
    ATi FirePro v7800 = 600 EUR +

See the price difference?
    4 x Ati v8800 cards = 1 x Quadro 6000 card

SpecView 11 = synthetic ( driver specific optimization ) = not a real world performance
  • edited August 2010
    // add
    It Would be great if you'd use your own independent tests for those applications - you could use Demo/Trial versions maybe. Thanks for the review anyway.
    edited August 2010
    Morgoth - the price difference is a huge factor in these GPUs. The Quadro 5000 and 6000 may push pixels better, but when the FirePro GPUs perform as well as they do at a fraction of the cost, that plays a huge roll in purchase deciding factor. CUDA not withstanding, I'd be hard pressed to find the price of the Quadro 5000 or 6000 convincing if I were to buy one of these GPUs.

Also, we did have plans to set up our own independant tests, but under the time frame we had with this GPU, building a new test setup didn't happen. We do have plans to establish our own testing methodologies in the future for more accurate real-world results.

El Guapo, as far as I understand, no publication has been given the Quadro 4000 for review. I could be wrong, but everyone I've spoken with at SIGGRAPH and at other places, no one has put their own eyes on that GPU yet. Honestly, I think the Quadro 5000 is going to compare closer to the FirePro v8800 than the 4000 will, but again, I'm really not sure without having it on the test bench.

Icrontic does have a Quadro 5000 on the way, so expect a review of it some time soon in the future.
  • edited August 2010
    Great, I'm willing to participate with a ready to play Maya scene if you need it. Cheers,m.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the brink of building a workstation pc for 3D, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, etc. Everyone says I'm going to want CUDA, but is the 5000 really worth the ~$700 premium over the V8800? Tough call.
  • edited November 2010
    But the REAL question is can it play Crysis?
  • edited December 2010
    Can this quadro 6000 cook & clean for me? More importantly will it get me laid?

All in all, great review!!!
  • lei
    edited December 2010
    But the REAL question is: will it blend?

sorry, i had to write that.
    can this card be used for gaming or is a GeForce 580 better? I don't see the difference between the GeForce and Quadro series...
    edited December 2010
    This card is RADICALLY inferior to a GTX 580 (or virtually any modern GPU) for gaming. Likewise, the Quadro series is RADICALLY superior to any gaming GPU for 3D modeling and rendering.
    edited December 2010
    Different configurations for different workloads.

You can move the contents of your house with a Prius (eventually).
    You can commute 3 blocks in a semi truck.

But you're much better off doing it the other way around. Each is vastly more suited for their designed workload, even though they can serve much of the same purpose.
  • edited May 2011
    All a gamer needs to know: Will the Quadro 6000 run a game at 120fps for 3D Vision and 60fps for standard play, minimum?
    edited May 2011
    You don't buy a Quadro for gaming. That's what a gamer needs to know.
    edited May 2011
    A gamer should already know this, though.

Also, that's why this article is in Blue, not Orange.
    edited May 2011
    And No, it won't.